I’m a major sucker for a hot beverage. They’re on my list of ‘favourite things’, however, being a health nut, hot chocolate doesn’t often align with my lifestyle and goals. That is, the usual Hot Chocolate one may buy at Starbucks or a grocery store. Yes, this delicious drink can be rather unhealthy but it can also become a great drink in a healthy diet too! Best of all, it can be still delicious and give you some of your daily nutrients. Moreover, this beverage is not just healthy but Cruelty Free, Vegan and Gluten Free!
This recipe was something I literally threw together one day, and after a few alterations and modifications, it’s become a regular recipe in my diet. A perfect combination of sweet, creamy and chocolatey goodness. You can still indulge repeatedly in this drink without it slowly affecting your health. Furthermore, you are in high control of each ingredient, therefore, you have the power to get your beverage to taste exactly how you like it best.
Cook Time: 3- 5 Min
● 1tbsp (10g) Cocoa Powder
● 1 tsp Stevia
● 250ml Almond Milk
(can sub for any other non-dairy milk, but will change the flavour)
● 1/2 tsp Vanilla Essence (optional)
1. Add all ingredients to a small pan and place on the hob.
2. Set heat to high and leave the liquid to heat up, stirring occasionally.
3. Once the hot chocolate is starting to bubble, turn the heat down to low and leave the hot chocolate to simmer. Stir every so often.
4. Once all of the powder has dissolved (around 3-5 minutes) and the consistency is smooth, remove the hob from the hot stove and turn the heat off.
5. Gently pour the hot chocolate into your favourite mug. Top with whatever your heart desires. Today I chose to add a dollop of homemade coconut cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
Enjoy your healthy hot chocolate alternative!
What topping do you like on your hot chocolate?